Anthony G. Scheer
Tony Scheer is a trial lawyer who focuses his practice in the areas of criminal defense and whistleblower litigation. He is a former prosecutor and is a Board Certified Specialist in the areas of State and Federal Criminal Law. He represents defendants in courts throughout North Carolina and elsewhere around the United States. Mr. Scheer is also one of only a very few lawyers in North Carolina who maintains an active practice in representing people who blow the whistle on fraud against the Government.
Mr. Scheer graduated from Duke University (with honors) in 1979. He owned and managed a water sports store in Durham, North Carolina for several years after college. As a certified scuba instructor, Tony trained several hundred people to dive and led dive expeditions all over the Western Hemisphere. After selling his interest in the store, Tony fulfilled a long-time desire and returned to school to study the law in 1989 at the age of 32.
Tony graduated with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 1992. He was a member of The Law Review and concentrated his studies in the areas of criminal and administrative law. In 1992 and 1993, he was a law clerk for the Hon. Henry C. Morgan in the Federal Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia. There, he gained valuable experience in a wide array of federal law and had the opportunity to see the system from a judge’s perspective.
In 1993, Mr. Scheer moved to Charlotte to take a job as a prosecutor in the District Attorney’s Office. After a year during which he was the founding prosecutor in the new domestic violence court, he began handling felony cases. The final 3 years of his time in the DA’s office was spent prosecuting exclusively violent felonies such as robbery, rape, and murder.
In 1997, Mr. Scheer left the DA’s office and joined the law firm of Rawls & Dickinson in 1997. He became a partner of what is now Rawls, Scheer, Clary & Mingo in 2001. In his early years with the firm, Tony handled all crimes from traffic offenses to murder. Since 2008, his criminal practice has been exclusively major crimes and high profile cases in the State and Federal Courts.
Since 2003, Mr. Scheer has also handled cases for whistleblowers, filing suit on their behalf to stop fraud against the government and protecting their rights and their jobs. It is a practice area which is naturally complemented by his federal defense work. Tony and his whistleblower clients have been responsible for the recovery of nearly 6 million dollars of the taxpayers’ money.
“Tony Scheer and his team handled my case with expertise and professionalism. At one of the most difficult times of my life, I was able to rely on his wonderful guidance and heart felt support like I was part of his family in trouble. The people at RSFM go to great lengths to get the most desirable outcome possible for your case and hardly take “no” for an answer. They were relentless in working for my benefit in my case…”
Honors and Awards
– Martindale Hubbell – AV Preeminent Rated
– Business North Carolina – Legal Elite since 2009
– North Carolina Super Lawyers – since 2007
– North Carolina’s Best Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Board of Directors, Justice Initiatives, Inc., 2004 – Present
- American Bar Association, 2000-present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1997-present
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, 1997-present
- Board of Directors, Justice Initiatives, Inc., 2004-present
- Mecklenburg County Criminal Justice Advisory Board, 2009-2013
- Board of the Mecklenburg County Drug Treatment Court, 1997-2012
- Board of Directors, Summit House, 2004-2007
Admitted to practice:
- North Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
- United States 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- United States District Court Western District of North Carolina
- United States District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- Previously admitted pro hac vice in U.S. District Courts in Georgia, New York, and South Carolina
University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
– JD (With Honors): 1992
– Law Review, 1990-91
Duke University, 1979
– B.A. in Zoology and Botany 1979
– Cum Laude
my recent reviews
“Tony Scheer and his team handled my case with expertise and professionalism. At one of the most difficult times of my life, I was able to rely on his wonderful guidance and heart felt support like I was part of his family in trouble. The people at RSFM go to great lengths to get the most desirable outcome possible for your case and hardly take “no” for an answer. They were relentless in working for my benefit in my case. He was able to get a great deal for me. To this day, I can always count on Tony and his team to give me advice and answer questions I might need. I will always call Tony and his team if I need a great lawyer and he will always be the first lawyer I recommend to anyone.”